The Academy of Pediatrics of America has declared that children should sleep with their parents in the same room, at least the first six months, in order to reduce the cases of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
They also suggest that babies should not share the same bed with their parents, but they should have their own, but in the same room. According to some studies, using this practice has reduced the risk of this syndrome around 50%.
Some general facts about SIDS:
– The main reason for this syndrome is still not known, but some examples have shown that children usually die due to suffocation while they are asleep.
– Every year in US, there are around 3500 deaths of infants from SIDS, points out The Center for Disease Control and Prevention. It is around 40% and other death from accidental suffocation, sleeping-related mishaps around 25%.
– This type of syndrome usually happens in children which are six months old.
– The reason for this happening can be because of some apparatus in the sleeping area, near the children such as toys, soft pillows, furnishings, little parts and a lot of other things, as they can block the breathing passage due to asphyxia.
– Some genetic defect that the child may be born with, may be another reason, as it can obstruct the vulnerable nasal passages and cause difficulties in breathing.
– Another thing that can also lead to death of the infant is when the mother is tired and she falls asleep during the breast-feeding. but, more dangerous is when she breast – feeds it in an arm – chair with no surrounding support, so the baby can fall.
Will sharing the same room help in keeping the SIDS away?
This is a question that may raise a discussion, but there are also a few theoretical views that can be very effective:
– The parents are more alert
As the children are closer to their parents, they are more alert, and they can keep an eye on their babies, so they can see and hear if it is crying or making some odd noises, and can immediately react and save their baby’s life.
– Babies are more comfortable
When the baby is not alone in the room and it can feel the presence of the parent, it will feel safer and more comfortable.
Be careful when you are sharing the room:
– Separate sleeping beds
You should not share your bed with your baby, as the adult bed is not made for the baby’s needs. Also, the pillows, blankets and duvets can be harmful for your baby as well. So, because of this, keep your baby in a separate bed.
– The baby sleeping surface
The best sleeping place for the children is the crib, as they can’t roll of. They have to be placed on their backs on a firm surface in order to get the needed back support. They also need a tightly set sheet, in order to not unravel when the babies roll around. There is no need of blankets, pillows or bed furnishings, as they make them feel hot or even suffocate them.
– Breastfeeding zone
It is advised to breast – feed the baby in the parents’ beds, so in case the mother falls asleep, there will be someone else that will take care.