Our eyes are unique window into our health. That is why Yahoo Health assembled a list of 14 things that your eyes can tell about your body. Here are some of them:
1. Disappearing eyebrows – disappearing of the outer third of your eyebrow on its own is a common sign of thyroid disease.
2. Burning eyes, blurry vision while using a computer – This is the result of “computer vision syndrome” or CVS and it is caused by the lack of contrast on a computer screen and the extra work involved in focusing on pixels.
3. Shimmering lights or a wavy line – this is caused by a migraine aura. It can be also accompanied by a headache.
4. Whites of the eye turned yellowish – this is a sign of jaundice that usually appears in newborns with immature liver function or adults with problems of the liver, gallbladder or bile ducts.
5. Eyes that seem to bulge – the common reason for this is over activity of the thyroid gland or hyperthyroidism.
6. Sudden double vision, dim vision or loss of vision – these are the usual warning signs of stroke.
7. Blurred vision in a diabetic – Diabetics are at increased risk for several eye problems but the most common one is diabetic retinopathy in which diabetes affects the circulatory system of the eye. This is the leading cause for blindness in American adults.
Our eyesight is one of the most precious senses but we usually tend to take it for granted until it starts to fail.