Ear infection can be caused by bacteria or viruses in the middle ear and children are more affected than adults. The most common symptoms for an ear infection are: headache, pain in the ear, poor response to sounds, vomiting, diarrhea, fluid draining, difficulty sleeping, high fever, etc.
Ear infections must be treated as soon as possible because there are some complications that can occur such as: damaging or rupturing the ear drum which can lead to chronic recurrence and can even cause deafness.
It is necessary to consult a doctor when you experience pain in the ear, but there are some natural remedies for immediate relief. There are easy home remedies that you can try to treat the ear infection and get rid of the pain.
These are the best home remedies that you can try for treating ear infection:
1. Salt – Heat up one cup of salt on a pan over low heat for several minutes. You can use the microwave to heat it as well. After that place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end. Put the warm salt on the ear for 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat this as many times as you need during the day. The heat helps draw out fluid from the ear and stops swelling and pain. Instead of salt, you can also use one cup of rice.
2. Garlic – Take 2 garlic cloves and cook them in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Next, strain the solution, and when it’s warm, use 2-4 drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
Another alternative is to boil 2-3 fresh garlic cloves in water for 5 minutes, crush them and add some salt. Place the mixture in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
Consuming two to three raw garlic cloves daily also helps speed up the healing process.
3.Basil – Extract juice from 5 fresh basil leaves and put the juice around the ear. Make sure not to get juice inside the ear.
You can also mix several drops of holy basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil like coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process twice daily.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar – If the ear infection is caused by fungus, the best solution is apple cider vinegar.
Mix equal amounts of ACV and water or alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in the solution. Put the cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it for about five minutes. After that, remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side in order to drain the liquid from the ear. Use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
5. Olive Oil – Is the best home solution for removing ear wax. Warm some olive oil and put few drops of the warm oil in the infected ear. This will help soften the wax, and then remove the wax from the ear. You can also use mustard oil as an alternative for olive oil.
6. Warm Water Bottle – Place warm water bottle or heating pad against the ear.
Another alternative is to use a warm compress. Dip a clean washcloth in lukewarm water, ring out the excess water and then place washcloth on the infected ear.
Do not put heat too long. Start with five minutes, and then remove it. Wait for a while and you put it again
7. Onion – Chop an onion and put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Leave it to cool and strain out the onion juice. Put two to three drops of the juice in the infected ear, leave it for sometime and then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
Another solution is to bake an onion for half an hour, cut it into halves and put one half in a thick cotton cloth. Place the cloth on the infected ear for five minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and then repeat the process.
8. Tea Tree Oil – mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil and a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of ACV. Warm the mixture a little bit. Then, pour some of the mixture into the ear and leave it for 5 minutes. Turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely. Repeat this two to three times a day for two days.
9. Mango Leaf Juice – Crush or grind 2-3 soft mango leaves in order to extract the juice and then slightly warm it. Use a dropper to put 3-4 drops of the juice into the infected ear. You will feel relief from the pain within a few minutes. Use this remedy two to three times a day for full relief from ear infection.
10.Breast Milk – Put a few drops of breast milk into the affected ear. Repeat the process every few hours as needed. Breast milk can be used to treat minor ear infections as well. You should seek a medical attention if there is no improvement within a couple of days.