Ght leg cramps or nocturnal leg cramps, are very painful muscle contractions, or spasms.
They usually occur during the night and generally in the lower leg, as well as feet and thighs. The pain is so strong that can wake you up in the middle of the night.
It is also sharp and severe and it can last for a few seconds or even for several minutes sometimes. You can feel the muscle soreness even after the pain disappears, and it can last the following night, or maybe the following day.
Both, men and women can suffer from leg cramps. At the age of 50 is the period in which they usually appear.
Leg cramps vs. restless leg syndrome.
Even though leg cramps and restless leg syndrome are syndromes that appear while we sleep, they are actually very different.
Restless leg syndrome is a neurological disorder that is characteristic for the uncontrollable and overwhelming need of moving your legs.
Moving the legs during this syndrome, gives you a sense of relief, and this is not the same for the nocturnal leg cramps.
Here are some of the reasons of leg cramps’ appearance:
– Some medications;
– Standing on concrete floors;
– Sitting for a longer period of time;
– Certain exercises;
– Improper sitting posture.
Here are also some advice that will help you in the fight against them:
– Before going to bed, take a warm bath;
– Perform exercises in the water, during taking the bath, so you will build up your leg muscles;
– Also, stretch your legs before bed time;
– Take large amounts of potassium and magnesium;
– To improve the circulation in your legs, take horse chestnut;
– Wear ergonomic shoes;
– Place a heating pad in the area where you feel the pain.
You may find the following advice helpful, when you want to cure those muscle spasm that appear during the night:
1. Sit on the floor and put both your legs in front of you. After that bend your feet and point the toes toward the knees. You may also need to pull on your feet in order to stretch better.
2. You should get up slowly and turn around a bit. Shaking your legs may be very helpful in improving your blood flow.
3. Rub the painful region carefully with circular movements.
4. In order to relieve discomfort, you should consume a tablespoon of yellow mustard.