Before starting with this article, you need to know that the nails are one very important part of our body. And now you are probably asking yourself why? Well, they can carry symptoms from different diseases, including cancer as well. And also, there is no need to be worried, as we are not going to talk about any symptoms or diseases in this article.
We have a question for you as well – does the name lunula means something to you? Have you noticed a crescent-shaped whitish area at the end of a fingernail? So, it is not just an area with pigment change under the nails. In fact, that is a very sensitive area so you should be very careful so it not gets damaged.
And finally, the purpose of this article is to tell you 10 facts that you must know about the lunula:
1. A very sensitive and extremely important part of the structure of the nail is the crescent-shaped whitish area of our fingernail, which the eye perceives as white crescent. You should know that this is a very sensitive part and it should not be damaged.
2. Lunula, which in Latin means “little moon”, is the half – moon part of the nail, that is very sensitive.
3. This part has white color, as it is the fifth basal layer of the epidermis and it actually “hides” the blood vessels that are underneath.
4. The lunula is most noticeable on the thumb, but it is not visible in every person. In some cases, the eponychium, the thickened layer of skin surrounding fingernails and toenails, can partially or completely cover the lunula.
5. The lunula is actually that part of the nail root that is visible and that should not be damaged in any way, because by damaging it, your entire nail will become permanently deformed.
6. According to many experts around the world, the lunula is able to reveal a lot of important information about overall health. The traditional Chinese medicine, for example, believes that a lack of lunula indicates anemia and malnutrition while a pale or bluish lunula indicates possible diabetes. When the person’s lunula has reddish smudges, the person may be suffering from some cardiovascular disease.
7. When there is a lack of lunula, as well as a very small amount of it, it may indicate some indigestion problems, which can happen due to slow metabolism and toxin overload in the body.
8. The quantity should be form 8 to 10 lunulas on the both hands. They should take an area of one fifth of the fingernail. They would be better in color of ivory. If they are more whiter, it is much better, because that indicates that the person is strong.
9. What will indicate that the person is energetic and healthy, is having normal fingernails which will be ruddy, restrained, tough, arc-shaped, smooth and glossy with clear lunula. If the lunula is whiter, the person is more energetic. Opposite of that, the lunula becomes poor and vague.
10. The lunula takes an area which is about one fifth of the fingernail and it has the clear edge. If the color of the lunula starts changing, or it starts disappearing crescent, this may be a sign for some disease. When the person is healthy again, the little moon gradually appears. The less lunula a person has, the lower energy and poorer health and immunity he/she has, so it’s more likely for he/she to feel tired. When there is lunula only on the thumbs, it may be a sign that the physical energy is not sufficient and the disease in on the way to come.