A lot of people may probably know that worms are harmful for our health and that they can cause a lot of issues by entering in our bodies through food and remain there for a long period. Worms are parasites which can also penetrate the brain and cause a lot of serious issues.
A doctor, named Effrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas, has examined the head of a man that had a tapeworm inside. Namely, the man was feeling frequent headaches and seizures.
After examining him in the Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, the man was diagnosed with an infection, called sparganosis-a, which is a parasitic infection caused by tapeworm larvae plerocercoid diphyllobothroid. Unfortunately, a surgery procedure had to be made.
There are three types of worms that can cause a brain damage and they usually enter into our body by consuming undercooked pork meat.
You can also get infected if you have a direct contact with animals that already have this parasite. The infection caused by them can cause epilepsy which is known as neurocysticercosis.
This infection is very common in Latin America, Africa and China. But no one of us is safe, since pork is distributed all over the world.
There are several medications which can treat the infection, but surgery procedure is a more promising treatment.