Most of the parents have experienced the day when their kid has come home from school complaining about an itchy scalp. Even those who were lucky to avoid this situation know that head lice can be really annoying and difficult to remove. Head lice are very small, wingless insects which feed on human blood.
They are also very contagious. Kids are the ones who make the closest contact with their schoolmates, and that is why kids are the most vulnerable group, although an adult can get them as easy. Despite not being very dangerous, they are annoying and they can cause itching and inflammation.
Nevertheless, if they are not eliminated quickly, the situation can get from bad to worse, since they multiply very quickly.
On the market, there are a number of lice shampoos and similar products, but they are usually ineffective and rather expensive. Second alternative is the infinite combing which can last for hours and still leave some of these pesky parasites behind. If you have tried everything without results, do not worry – here is the solution. This home remedy against head lice has proven to be really effective and if your child has them our advice is to try it out.
Here is what you need:
- Listerine mouthwash (You can also use another brand).
- Lice comb.
- White vinegar.
- A couple of towels.
- Shower cup or plastic bags.
- Wash your child’s head with mouthwash until it is completely wet.
- Wrap the hair with a plastic bag or cover it with a bathing cap.
- Leave the mouthwash on for at least an hour.
- Carefully remove the cap.
- Wash your kid’s hair with vinegar and cover it again with a cap for an additional hour.
- Remove the cap and wash your child’s hair with regular shampoo.
- Finally, comb the hair with the lice comb.
The trick is in the strong smell of Listerine which will keep the lice away because they cannot stand the smell of spearmint. You can even put some Listerine in a small spray bottle and spray your kid’s hair before going to school as a precaution measure.
This is much better than the lice shampoos because they are usually full of toxic chemicals which enter the bloodstream through the scalp.
Here are the advantages of using this natural remedy:
- It is natural and without side effects.
- It gives long-term results (after treatment lice are unlikely to appear again).
- It is cheap.
- Just a couple of spritzes of spearmint water will keep the lice away.
- You kid is completely protected.
- It leaves the hair shiny, smooth and with a nice smell.