In the late 2015, The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which is a part of the World Health Organization (WHO), has announced that processed meat can cause colorectal cancer among humans, and classified it as a Group 1 carcinogen.
The name colorectal comes from the both parts that it attacks, the colon and rectum. This kind of cancer is the third one most common type, diagnosed in U.S. It has bean predicted that this year, it can affect 95,000 people, while 39,000 will be diagnosed with rectal cancer.
Your colon helps in forming, storing and eliminating waste, but it also contains billions of bacteria, a healthy balance of which is essential for optimal health.
This type of cancer is in second place of death causers in the U.S., but it is preventable and only 5 to 10% of the cancer cases are because of some genetic defects. Another 35 % of the death caused by cancer may be because of a diet, 30% because of tobacco, 20 percent due to some infections and the other percent, due to some other environmental factors, such as exposition to radiation, stress, less physical activity and pollution.
The American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) claims that one-third of the U.S most common cancer cases can be prevented by a healthy diet and that includes physical activity and maintaining a healthy weight. If you use these methods, there is 50% chance to prevent colorectal cancer. Here are some of them:
– You will need to include fruits and vegetables in your diet as much as possible. Vegetables consist a lot of disease – fighting compounds, such as antioxidants, and they can be very hard to get anywhere else – such as magnesium. According to the results of one meta-analysis, the increase of magnesium intake for 100 milligrams, can decrease the risk of colorectal tumor for 13%, as well as the risk for colorectal cancer for 12%.
It has been noted that the anti -cancer effects that magnesium has are related with his ability of reducing insulin resistance. Also, the phytochemicals can reduce inflammation and eliminate carcinogens, while the others are responsible for regulating the rate at which cells reproduce and get rid of the old cells, as well as maintain DNA.
Vegetables are a great source of dietary fibers too. According to many studies, it has been confirmed that people who have higher intake of vegetables have lower cancer rates.
-Sulforaphene, is a naturally occurring derivative of sulforaphane which can be found in cruciferous vegetables, and can suppress the growth of colon cancer -derived tumors.
– Dried plums help you in building your gut bacteria and that can lower the risk of colon cancer.
You should also increase your dietary intake of fiber, because it reduces the risk of colorectal cancer, mainly incident colorectal adenoma and distal colon cancer. The risk of colon cancer decreases by 10%, for every 10 grams intake of fiber in your daily diet.
According to one study conducted in 2005, dried plums “favorably altered colon cancer risk factors” in rats, because of they consist of high amount of fiber and polyphenolics.
Other excellent fiber sources are psyllium seed husk, flax seeds, hemp seeds and chia seeds.
According to another study, published in the journal Gut, those people that had higher levels of vitamin D, had low chances of developing colorectal tumors. The reason for this may be that vitamin D is beneficial for the immunity.
– “Evidence suggests protective effects of vitamin D and antitumor immunity on colorectal cancer risk. Immune cells in tumor microenvironment can convert 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] [vitamin D] to bioactive 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, which influences neoplastic and immune cells… High plasma 25(OH)D level is associated with lower risk of colorectal cancer with intense immune reaction, supporting a role of vitamin D in cancer immunoprevention through tumor–host interaction.”
There are some ways of getting this vitamin, and some of them are regular sun exposure, using a high – quality tanning bed orsupplementation with a vitamin D3 supplement. All this can get your D vitamin levels into an optimal range of 50-70 ng/ml.
– Try to avoid processed meats, because they are meats which are preserved by smoking, curing, salting, or addition of some chemical preservatives, such as bacon, sham, pastrami, salami, pepperoni, hot dogs, some sausages, and hamburgers ome chemical preservatives and more. The most problematic preservatives that are added to these meats for coloring and flavour are the nitrates, which are usually converted into nitrosamines, which can cause an increased risk of certain cancers. AICR has already worned that “there is no safe threshold”, in eating processed meats.
Researches also warn that the risk of colorectal cancer can be also increased for 24% by eating red meat. The problem is not in the meat, but in the way of cooking it and the source from where it comes. For instance, grass -fed beef contains of cancer – fighting compounds. CAFO animals are typically fed grains contaminated with glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup herbicide. Its influence on our healthy gut bacteria can be determinal and it is cancerogenic as well. Also, cooking red meat on high temperatures, like barbacued or fried can aslo have carcinogenic cooking byproducts, such as heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
but, if you like eating red meat, choose the organically raised grass -fed meats, and cook them lightly.
– Another very important thing that can reduce the risk of colon cancer is regular exercise. There was a study in which was shown that men and women who were physically active had lower chances, of colon cancer developing, about 30 to 40%, than those who were physically inactive.
Before all, exercises can lover your insulin levels, which is an important step in reducing the risk for cancer developing. Exercise triggers apoptosis and also improves the circulation of immune cells in your blood.
– You should watch on your weight. Many researches have shown that excess weight is connected with the increased risk of developing different types of cancers, including colon cancer as well. One study from 2014 has analyzed data from more than 5 millions of people over the age of 16, and every 11 pounds increased body weight was connected with an increased risk of 10 different types of cancer. So, losing excess bally fat is very important, when it comes to preventing cancer development, because belly fat is linked to an increased risk of colon cancer regardless of your body weight.
Drinking large amounts of alcohol, as well as smoking cigarettes can also increase the risk of colorectal cancer. Maybe the best way is eliminating the alcohol completely, 5-ounce glass of wine, a 12-ounce beer or 1 ounce of hard liquor per day, along with a meal, is considered as normal, as well as safe amount. But for smoking, there is no such “normal amount”, so the best thing for you will be to quit it.
– In many lab studies and researches has been proven that garlic can be very helpful in eliminating cancer cells. Women who regularly ate garlic, along with some fruits or vegetables, had 35% lowered risk of colon cancer development. But, among people with inoperable forms of colorectal, liver, or pancreatic cancer, taking an aged garlic extract, helped them in improving their immunity for six months.
When you decide to incorporate raw garlic into your diet, in order to stimulate the release of an enzyme called alliinase, which in turn catalyzes the formation of allicin, you will need to crush or chop the fresh clove.
– It is recommended that men and women over the age of 50, must have regular screening either by flexible sigmoidoscopy on every five years, or by colonoscopy on every 10 years, because they belong to the group of those who have a high risk of colorectal cancer development.
Another thing which has been proven of grat value are ultrasounds. If polyps are found in their early stages, your doctor can simply snip them off right then and there. Because of that, colonoscopy is not just a diagnostic tool, but also serves for surgical interventions. You should also be aware that one of 350 colonoscopies does some serious harm, and the death rate is about one for every 1,000 procedures. Also, about 80% of the endoscopes are cleaned by using Cidex (glutaraldehyde), which is not the proper thing, because it doesn’t sterilize them well.
In the following few lines, we are going to show you another 15 ways, for lowering the chances of colorectal cancer development:
Eliminate sugary drinks, such as soda, as well as cut sugar from your diet;
You should be doing more walking, usually 10 000 steps in a day;
Consume green tea, as it is rich in in epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which is a cancer fighting catechin polyphenol;
Eat steamed broccoli;
Eat Brazil nuts, which are an excellent source of selenium, which is especially powerful mineral in reducing the risk of prostate, lung and colorectal cancers;
Consume artichokes, as they are rich in silymarin, which is an antioxidant that may lower your risk of skin cancer;
In order to increase your vitamin D levels, get a regular sun exposure;
You should marinate your meat with spices, beer or wine,in order to lower the formation of cancer – causing substances when you are cooking it;
Consume some “resistant starches”, such as green bananas, which are acting like fiber your body. They will help you in reducing the risk of colon cancer from a diet high in red meat;
You will need to normalize your ratio from omega – 3 to omega – 6 fats, by consuming a high – quality krill oil, as well as reducing the vegetable oils like corn, soy, and canola;
Sleep in complete darkness, because it suppresses your body’s production of melatonin, and that has anti – cancer effects;
You should consume onions, because they contain cancer – fighting quercetin, which inhibits the cancer cells’ growth, from breast, colon, prostate, ovarian, endometrial and lung tumors;
Try to avoid environmental toxins, such as cancer-causing dry cleaning chemical perc (perchloroethylene);
Also, try to avoid eating French fries and potato chips, because it can contain high levels of cancer-causing acrylamide, which is a compound formed by cooking foods at high temperatures;
Ant the last, eat fermented vegetables, because they are excellent for the gut health and the fermentation process included in creating sauerkraut, also produces cancer – fighting compounds as isothiocyanates, indoles and sulforaphane.