When there is an irritation or compression of the lower back nerve, sciatica and lower back pain may be caused. Nowadays, this is one very common issue, and according to some studies, even 5 to 10% of the Americans suffer from it.
Sciatica pain begins from the lower spine to the lower part of one leg or even the foot. Here we can see the most common symptoms of this painful condition:
– A piercing pain felt in one buttock and leg;
– A burning and tingling pain;
– Pain that is intensified in a sitting position;
– In the most severe cases, it may cause a loss of bowel and bladder control.
There are various factors that can be the reason for sciatica, and some of them are:
– Slipped disc (90% of cases);
– A direct injury;
– Spinal infections
– Spondylolisthesis (or a slipped vertebrae);
– Spinal stenosis (it is the narrowing of the spinal cord passage);
– Cauda equine syndrome.
This pain, which is often unbearable, can be prevented in some of the following ways:
– Regular exercise, in order to straighten the back muscles;
– Sleeping on a firm mattress;
– A proper body posture;
– Properly adjusted car seat for maintaining lower back support;
– Regular practice of a proper lifting technique.
In this article, we are going to present you the best 6 exercises which will help you in relieving sciatica pain:
1. Hamstring stretch exercise
All you need to do is to sit on the floor, with your back straight, your legs stretched and a hand-width apart. Inhale deeply, and while exhaling, lean forward from the hips and reach the toes with the hands. After that, push collarbone towards the feet and stay in that position for half a minute.
2. Knee lifts exercise
You need to lie on your back, with your knees bent to a 90 – degree angle. Your arms should be flat by the sides. Elevate the legs until they are at a foot height from the floor, and gently lower them. Repeat this 5 times.
3. Piriformis stretch exercise
While you lie on your back, bend your knees. Your heels should be pushed towards the buttocks, then cross one leg over the other, and rest the ankle. After that, stretch your hips and hold them like that for 20 seconds. Change the leg and hold for another 20 seconds. For a more intensifies stretch, push out the leg.
4. Knee to chest stretch exercise
While you lie on your back, bend your knees to a 90 – degree angle, and hold the feet firm on the floor. After that, wrap your hands around one of the knees and pull it towards your chest. Hold like that for 20 to 30 seconds and repeat the same method with the other leg.
5. Back extensions exercise
While you lie with your face down, keep your feet and hands flat on the floor. Keep your fingertips at an eye level. Then, push the hands to arch the back, and hold like that for 5 to 10 seconds. Then, lower the back to the ground and repeat 10 times.
6. Gluteal stretch exercise
While you lie on your back, bend your knees to a 90 – degree angle. Then, elevate the left leg and rest the ankle on your right thigh. After that, wrap your hands around your right thigh and pull it towards your body. Hold like that for 20 to 30 seconds. Repeat the method for 3 more times and then switch the leg.